Employers must make sure that all injuries, regardless of how minor they may appear, are recorded in an accident book

This is in addition to the requirements under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR), to report incidents.  It is good practice to record in the accident book any incidents involving injuries or illness, which have occurred at work, and not just those reported under RIDDOR; as this is a valuable part of any business's management of health and safety.

Accident bookThe ‘old style’ accident book from the Department of Work and Pensions (form BI 510) should no longer be in use; as these and similar books, do not comply with data protection legislation. This is  because people can read personal information contained in previous entries. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has published a new book that has removable forms in it, so that any individual recording an accident is unable to read details of the previous records.

The new book now also contains some basic first aid information, as well as information about employers’ duties under RIDDOR, and should be kept at a central location on the premises.

All companies with ten or more employees are legally required to keep an accident book under the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979. Previous legislation, which requires certain other companies to keep an accident book, remains in force. All accidents in the workplace must be recorded in the book and records must be kept for a minimum of three years after the last recorded entry. Consideration should be given to developing and implementing a suitable internal accident reporting and recording process; as this can help identify accident trends and possible areas for improvement in the control of health and safety risks.

ask - logo - no tag
Go to accident section
Tri-colour line1