Gas has the potential for causing serious damage by explosion or fire
If you are working in a kitchen area that uses gas, you should be trained in the action to take if a leak occurs and must know the location of the local gas shut-off valve.
If a gas leak is suspected:
- Tell everyone in the immediate area to turn off or put out anything that could ignite the gas, unless this involves using electrical switches - most make a tiny spark.
- Turn off the gas supply - if the gas cannot be turned off, contact Transco immediately on 0800 111 999.
- If a lot of gas has escaped; immediately inform others that may be in the building and evacuate the area by following the emergency arrangements.