Using an extension lead increases the risk of receiving an electric shock and presents a tripping hazard to others
The trailing length of cable can easily be damaged, so it is important to check that the cable, plug and socket are not damaged in any way, before using the extension lead. In particular, look out for nicks and deep abrasions in the cable, which could leave wires exposed. Pay attention to the plug as it is easily knocked while the extension lead is being handled, which may cause damage to the casing of the plug. A rubber-sheathed plug, which can withstand some ‘abuse’, is better than a standard plastic plug.
Do not use the extension lead if it has damage to the cable or to the plug or socket.
When using an extension lead: